MANHATTAN BIBLE CHURCH
DECLARATION OF FAITH
1. We believe in God the Father (Matthew 28:19), perfect in holiness (Isaiah 6:3), infinite in wisdom, measureless in power (Psalm 147:5). We rejoice that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men, that He hears and answers prayer (Psalm 145:14-18), and that He saves from sin and eternal punishment all who come to Him through Jesus Christ (John 3:16).
2. We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and existed equally with the Father from the beginning (John 1:1), and that in the fullness of time He was conceived by the Holy Ghost and born of the Virgin Mary (Galatians 4:4, Matthew 1:18-25). We believe in His becoming man, He surrendered none of His Divinity, but was sinless in His Life, making atonement for the sin of the world in His death (2 Corinthians 5:21). We believe in His bodily resurrection (Mark 16:1-7), His ascension, (Acts 1:9,10), His perpetual intercession for his people (Hebrews 7:25) and His personal visible return (1 Thessalonians 4:16).
3. We believe in the Personality and deity of the Holy Spirit who came forth from God to convince the world of sin, of righteousness and judgment (John 14:26, 16:8-11) and to regenerate (Titus 3:5), sanctify (2 Corinthians 3:18), and comfort those who believe in Jesus Christ.
4. We believe that all men by nature and by choice are sinners, and because every man has a depraved nature (Ephesians 2:1-3), he cannot in any way save himself (Romans 3:10-18, 23; Ephesians 2:8-9). God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). We believe therefore, that those who trust Christ as their personal Savior and Lord will rejoice evermore in God’s presence, and those that reject Christ as their personal Savior and Lord will be forever separated from God (John 3:36, 5:24-29).
5. We believe that the whole Bible is God-breathed and that any one part or section of it is equally inspired as another, that it is without error in the original manuscripts, and that it has supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:20-21; John 17:17).
6. We believe in the Church, a living, spiritual body of which Christ is the Head and of which all regenerated people are members (Ephesians 2:20-21; Colossians 1:18; 1 Corinthians 12:12-13). We believe that a visible church is a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized on a credible confession of faith, and associated for worship, work and fellowship. We believe that to these visible churches were committed, for perpetual observance, the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, and that God has laid upon these churches the task of persuading a lost world to trust Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord (1 Corinthians 11:23-28; Matthew 28:19).
7. We believe that every Christian has direct access to God through His Son (John 14:6; Hebrews 4:14-16) and His Word (1 Peter 1:23-25), and is responsible to God (Romans 14:10-12) and the Body of Christ (Romans 12:4-8) in all matters of faith. We believe that Christians are called by God to submit to governing authorities (Romans 13:1-7), though they must obey God over men (Acts 5:29). Furthermore, we believe that each church must be free from interference by any political authority (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18), that each church is to be under the spiritual oversight of local elders (Acts 20:28; Titus 1:5).
8. We believe in the Personal, Imminent and Pre-millennial return of Christ (Acts 1:11;
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 19:11-16: 20:1-6).
9. We believe that every Christian should live a life separate from this present world
(2 Corinthians 6:14-18; Galatians 5:16; Hebrews 12:1-2); in short, that every Christian not only refrain from that which would weaken his spiritual life, but also to be careful not to be a stumbling block to another member of the Body of Christ (Romans 14:13-23).
10. We believe that the biblical account of creation as recorded in Genesis 1 and 2 and consistently referred to in other passages (Exodus 20:11; Colossians 1:16-17; Hebrews 4:3-4) is to be accepted literally rather than figuratively or allegorically; that God created all things out of nothing previously existing by the power of His Word. We believe and teach that God did this in six days of twenty-four hours, rather than by evolutionary changes or developments through interminable eons of time from lower to higher forms; that all plant and animal life was created directly and subsequently reproduced only after their kind (Genesis 1:11-12, 21-22, 24-25). We believe in particular that God created one man and one woman in two separated and unique acts (Genesis 1:27; 2:7, 18, 21-25).
11. We believe that at creation of man and woman, God also instituted marriage between husband (singular) and wife (singular), commanding them to be fruitful and multiply, and thus establishing the example and pattern of the family (Genesis 1:26-28; 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6).